Why not turn a family activity into a tradition? Check out these12 fun ideas!
- Family video night. Rent a movie, order in a pizza, make popcorn. Agree to something the whole family wants to watch (and is appropriate for teens and younger children). Make it an event around a special occasion like a child’s birthday or a special family movie.
- Pumpkin Carving. Make an event out of going to the local pumpkin patch and picking out individual pumpkins for each member of the family to take back and carve up for the Autumn season. Make it a contest of skill and creativity where everyone is a winner!
- Sharing the Sunday newspaper over a special breakfast. This is a ritual with Mom and Dad in mind. Do you still get the Sunday Newspaper? Read a particular comic or opt ed that can entertain and inform the entire family. Then dig in to a family style brunch at your favorite restaurant or at the family table.
- Buy a special dessert to transform dinner into an occasion, and not just on birthdays, wedding anniversaries and graduations. Celebrate family members’ achievements. An unexpected high grade on a test at school or a promotion at work deserves a cake—with candles and an inscription. Be creative!
- Spiritual pursuits bring many families together, whether it’s attending services or saying grace or toasting together at the dinner table.
- Sit around together flipping through old photo albums or watching vintage family videos and home movies. You’ll relive fond memories and give one another hiccups laughing at the sight of certain members’ now-outdated hairstyles and assorted fashion faux pas. “Wow, Dad: Really nice leisure suit.”
- Take a car ride. Where? Anywhere. Take the slow, scenic route and stop off at whatever looks interesting. Plan a special weekend outing during the Autumn season to see and photograph the beautiful foliage.
- Go bowling together. Golf and miniature golf are two other examples of individual sports that you can do together. Perhaps you have a family league or summer miniature golf events that you can repeat every year.
- Build a fire in the fireplace, or at a camping ground, or on the beach, and share stories. Why not have a “first lighting” of the fireplace event complete with hot chocolate and sweet snacks!
- Cook dinner together, with each member of the family taking part. Wednesday cook night, where every family member has an assigned task to help mom and / or dad prepare “hump-day” dinner
- Play board games, cards, dominoes and so on. Pop popcorn, or set out veggies and hummus for a competitive round of family games.
- Communal chores or collaborating on a household project can be a lot of fun. How about Saturday clean up once a month? Assign indoor and outdoor activities to clean and organize then end it with a special pizza party!
The ideas are endless to plan activities and events for your family to celebrate being a family! Think outside the box, add it to the calendar and make a plan. These moments will be remembered and talked about for generations!