Your Backyard Oasis 

There’s nothing better than a quick swim in crystal clear water on blazing hot day. Taking care of your pool filter will make sure that your pool is always in top condition and ready for you to enjoy.

What Types of Pool Filters Need to be Cleaned?

Filter cleanings are necessary for nearly all residential swimming pools. The reason for this is approximately 98% of residential swimming pools in Texas are either DE (diatomaceous earth), cartridge, or some combination of the two types called a hybrid. The remaining 1-2% are sand filters which do not disassemble and clean up without a sand change. Commercial swimming pools in comparison are nearly all outfitted with sand filters for several reasons.

Depending on the type of filter you have, you should check in on it every 1 to 3 months during the peak season and perform a backwash. Backwash is the setting used for flushing out the filter when it becomes overloaded with dirt or sand. Water is drawn from the pool by the pump and enters the filter through the underdrain system in the bottom of the tank. Refer to your particular product’s user manual to get the exact directions on how to properly backwash your filter.

Did you know filter cleanings pay for themselves?

The electricity savings alone will often cover the cost. To verify this just put a voltmeter on the filter pump motor and measure the amount of amps it is drawing when running before and after your filter cleaning. NOTE: If you are not familiar with electricity or qualified to do this please hire a professional.

A dirty filter that has been cleaned will often drop the average pressure on the tank by 5-10psi. This increased flow through the filter means the filter pump will draw less amps or power. Since your filter pump motor is one of the biggest consumers of power in your home this savings in power will directly affect your electric bill. Why give this money to the electric company when you could have a healthier pool instead?

With a clean and maintained pool filter you will:

  • Lower your electrical bill – this alone could pay for a swimming pool filter cleaning.
  • Get healthier pool water – 10-20lbs of dirt and gunk will no longer be in your swimming pools circulatory system. Your pool water will not longer be pumped through this gunk. Also you will be at less risk of algae outbreaks.
  • Prolong your pool filter’s life – less stress on the internals means less repairs.
  • Prolong the life of your filter pump motor – less resistance from the filter means it can do its job of moving your pool water more easily.

 

Enjoy your pool this season!